Monday, May 12, 2008

The Beginning

I started this project last year and got my permit just in time to miss the new increase in school impact fees ($7,000). Only one round of revisions! Not bad; however, I do pity the average person that tries to get their own building permit. Knitting while you wait in permitting certainly helps the nerves.

I thought that I would be able to get my finances together and select a contractor at the same time, but the shake up in the housing market made me rethink that. So, I took one month to refinance and then spent another month getting bids from contractors. Took the conservative route, but in the end it worked out.

All of those years on BZA, friends in planning, civil engineers from book club, and everyone I work with helped make this happen. I'm sure they are happy that they no longer have me bugging them with...."just one more question about this scissor truss".

No comments: