Monday, November 10, 2008

Building a Kitchen on a Budget - Part 1

My wagon continues to earn its stripes. I got the call Friday evening that my IKEA shipment had arrived. By picking up my cabinets from the airport, I saved the $80 delivery fee. I did have to call in the troops to help me get a few boxes upstairs. Anything less than 42 lbs, I can carry by myself. The lazy susans were in the 80 lb range. Thanks again, Gordon!

Assembling the boxes with football games playing in the background is fun. Putting together the first box took me a little over a quarter of a game. By the time we got to the 3:30 PM game, I could assemble two boxes in one quarter. I made a few rookie mistakes, but nothing worth sweating over. I nailed the interior white panel facing the outside and switched out two of the pull outs. If I hadn't told you, no one would have known.

Lesson Learned: Assemble the simplest cabinet first.

No comments: