Saturday, May 16, 2009

How to Find a Good Architect

My little project has come a long way and having a good architect and contractor made the world of a difference. I’ve heard so many horror stories that sometimes I consider myself extremely lucky, but it wasn’t just luck. I didn’t just call someone out of the phone book or google “good architect.” I’m in the industry so I know the value of good references and leaned on the resources of others.

My Architect – A neighbor down the street built a garage apartment while I was in the “thinking about it” phase. These guys are serial remodelers, have great taste and demand quality work. I asked for a tour and quizzed them about what they liked and didn’t like:
  • Did they like their contractor? No.
  • Did they like their architect? Yes, loved her.
  • What would they do differently? More storage and closet space.
I like to think that I made it as easy as I could on my architect. I told her what I wanted through some performance criteria and bubble diagrams. I also brought along kitchen plans from a house I put an offer on a few years ago. When we opened it up, I realized that she was the architect of that house. That sealed the deal.

So what were the signs that she would be a good fit for my project?
  1. She had prior experience with garage apartments. One project was in my neighborhood so I knew that she was familiar with the local zoning and permitting requirements.

  2. She had great references. Picky people (who did not recommend their contractor) raved about her.

  3. She designed spaces that I already knew I liked.

If you can find someone that meets all of the above criteria, you are more likely to have a good experience. It’s not just luck.

No comments: