Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Stop Me. I think I want a new car.

Don't get me wrong. I love my car. I love the way it drives. I love the cargo capacity. What I don't love is having to spend lots of money to fix it. I spent $2,000 in January and $1,700 this month to keep the car running. My only saving grace is that the car is paid off. The rule of thumb I've used over the years is that once the maintenance cost exceeds a car payment, it is time to get a new car. I hit that threshold and it is only May.

So, what did I start to do? Research, research, research.

I've always admired the Mini Cooper. It was on my short list the last time I was shopping, but alas they did not have a model with an automatic transmission. Not only do they have an automatic, but an automatic clubman!! I love the exterior, but have always felt like the interior was a little too overdone. The fine Italian lines of the Alfa spoiled me.

This 08 Mini Clubman is asking $24,000 with 13,000 miles. The local dealership also has one in racing green.

Pros: Cuteness, Full Bike Storage
Cons: Price, Stiffness, Future Maintenance Cost


I went to the Honda dealership to test drive a Honda Fit. I know several people that own a Fit and they love the car. The Fit also has some cool folding seats that would let me fit my entire bike inside. I didn't like the way it drove. Again, the Alfa and the Saab spoiled me. I took the CRV for a spin and liked it. My mechanic keeps telling me to buy a Honda, Honda, Honda.

This 07 Honda CRV is asking $16,000 with 30,000 miles.

Pros: Reliability, Full Bike Storage, Future Maintenance Cost
Cons: Limited Cuteness

The Volvo wagon was also on my last short list. The Saab won out due to price. I know I like this car, but would I just be delaying the inevitable and find myself in the same place in a few years?

This 06 Volvo X90 is asking $20,000 with 41,000 miles.

Pros: Smooth Drive, Full Bike Storage
Cons: Price, Future Maintenance Cost, Soccer Mom Image

2 comments:

MJ said...

i'm going to have to get a new car next year and am leaning toward a Honda or Toyota myself. But the Mini is adorable! you look cute in green!

Tim said...

Listen to your mechanic.