Monday, June 15, 2009

The End of TV

My television died on Friday. Thanks to a new converter box (only $5 thanks to the government coupon) it is on life support.

Here’s what all the infomercials don’t tell you:
● Your bunny ears will not pick up all the network channels.
● The connection is sporadic. One day I can watch ABC in all of it’s digital splendor, the next day it is gone. Today, only NBC works. Goodbye Oprah, hello Martha Stewart.

Here’s the good news:
● When it works, it works great.
● I now have a remote control.
● I really don’t miss it that much.

Over the past few months I’ve wondered, “Do I buy a new tv? Do I buy a computer monitor/tv? Do I just get a digital projector?” Thanks to my parents, ex-boyfriends and friends, I have never spent a dime on a television. Then again, you get what you pay for.

This week will be a test for me. So far I’ve found that I can watch many of my favorite shows on the internet. I'm now addicted to google video. Coverage of live sports is the hardest to find. Right now I’m leaning towards relegating the box to the garage. In the garage, I can get on my bike trainer and watch DVD’s.

No comments: