Tuesday, June 9, 2009

High Line - Open!

Talk about thinking outside of the box - from freight to public open space. You have to give it to NYC. They find opportunities in places no one would think to look. The High Line is a former freight line on the west side of Manhattan in the Meatpacking District. Ten years after the Friends of the High Line was formed to advocate for the High Line's preservation and reuse as public open space, it is now open and I'm going to check it out.

This morning on NPR, they compared it to an open air museum. I picture it as a trail high up in the air and I love trails. I run on trails. I ride my bike on trails. I plan lots and lots of trails and sometimes I even design a trail or two. I know it sounds geeky but I really want to see the guard rails. Where we live, multi-use trails that accommodate bicycles have to use 4'-6" picket railing where there is significant grade change.

1 comment:

MJ said...

of course you want to see the guard rails, i wouldn't expect anything less ;) you're so crazy!!