Monday, October 27, 2008

The Carriage House Needs a Kitchen

The code compliant kitchen that I have now is totally livable, but it is time for my kitchen to grow up. Pantry items and dishes are just not meant to live in moving boxes. After I finished my last kitchen renovation, the amount of cooking I did at home doubled!

Quotes from local kitchen design studios ranged anywhere from $9,000 to $10,000. No appliances included. Both studios spec’ed out granite and engineered stone countertops at the consistent price of $65/SF - comparable to the big box store prices.

The economy and my industry are slowing down, so I hesitate to spend too much money on this kitchen…that will eventually be for a future tenant. That led me to the path of IKEA cabinets. I’ll only install lower cabinets (another cost savings) and put it together myself. My ex-boyfriend’s ex-neighbor will move the plumbing and install granite countertops. I was leaning towards the engineered stone, but at $24/SF, I’ll take granite.

My overall project budget for this kitchen is $2,500 and right now the numbers work.

No comments: