Wednesday, August 6, 2008

It's Not Easy Being Green

It is and it isn't. A few people have asked, so here's what we are doing.

My construction project clearly utilizes conventional construction materials and methods; however, I've tried to incorporate a few "green" elements. First and foremost, this is an in-town and infill project - utilizes less infrastructure because no new roads, etc. are required. From a material perspective, I chose Hardie siding, low VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) paint and bamboo flooring. Hardie board is fiber cement siding that looks like wood, especially when painted. VOC's are sometimes recognized as that paint smell. It is stronger when first applied, but continues to emit VOC's and affect indoor air quality. Oh yeah, it also costs at least twice as much as regular paint. Last but not least, I'm loving the rock in my driveway. It is crushed concrete from the I-4/408 interchange.

Still working on the bamboo and formaldehyde free kitchen cabinets. I need a sink base by Tuesday because the plumber is coming.

No comments: