Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Kitchen Update


Money is tight, so like many cities, I had to do a budget transfer to complete my project. The kitchen cabinets got cut so that I could do the re-roof. Now, that puts me in a pickle because I need a kitchen sink to get my Certificate of Occupancy. The good news is that the plumber is providing the garbage disposal, sink and fixtures. All I had to do was provide a sink base. Easier said than done.

I hate spending money on something only to replace it in the near future. So I went to IKEA - thank gosh we have an IKEA in town, and waited one hour only to find out that the 36" sink bases were up in the air. This meant that they couldn't get them down until the store closed. I would have to come back at 9 PM or the following morning. Why it took them an hour to tell me that, I don't know. Yoga classes while you wait would do wonders with their customer service. I returned my order and purchased a 30" sink base so that I could be on my way.

Another stop to the Big Orange Box and I landed a cut piece of 2x5 for use as a countertop. My direction to the very helpful employees was to cut the remaining portions of the 4x8 to any size, so long as it would fit in my wagon.

Last night was spent watching the Olympics, assembling the sink base and sanding, treating, staining and sealing the wood. This morning, I found out that the plumber brought a double sink. Oh, my! That's a 33" bowl. He's only going to be here one day. Another day equals another trip charge. Chalk another one up on the list of things I've learned on this project...

A co-worker was kind enough to take me over to U-Save where we purchased a 36" sink base and trucked it home.

More on the flooring and pictures tonight. I promise.

No comments: